Frequently Asked Questions
Surrogacy comes with many questions and we want to be sure that you have all the answers in order to make the best decision for you and your family. Over the next few months, we will be adding more and more questions below. If you don’t see what you are looking for, always feel free to reach out!
What is surrogacy?
Surrogacy is a social arrangement, usually bound by a contract, in which a woman –- known as a gestational mother or surrogate –- agrees to carry and birth a child for another person or family with the help of assisted reproductive technologies (ARTs). In international commercial surrogacy arrangements, gestational mothers usually receive payment.
Are there different types of surrogacy?
Yes. The type of surrogacy depends on specific elements of each agreement and the location of the intended parents and the gestational mother.
Traditional: A gestational mother’s eggs are fertilized with sperm from an intended father or provider.
Gestational: A gestational mother carries an embryo created from sperm and eggs from intended parents or providers.
Domestic (also called in-country): A gestational mother and intended parent(s) live in the same country.
International (also called transnational or cross-border): A gestational mother and intended parent(s) live in different countries.
Altruistic: A gestational mother does not receive payment, except for pregnancy-related expenses.
Commercial: A gestational mother receives payment.
Does Adonis Fertility International focus on a particular type of surrogacy?
Yes. Adonis Fertility International focuses on agreements that are international and commercial, which are also gestational. These involve the following: intended parents, egg providers, and gestational mothers, and local coordinators who manage the whole process for you from start to end.
What are the requirements for Surrogacy SMART Program Gestational Carriers?
Each Gestational Carrier Must:
- Be physically and psychologically healthy
- Between 22 and 39 years old
- Be a non-smoker, have no history of alcoholism, drug abuse or clinical mental illness
- Have a body mass index between 19 to 29.9
- Have no body piercings or tattoos within the past 24 months
- Have at least one healthy child through a successful/uncomplicated pregnancy and birth to term
- Currently not breastfeeding
- Not have a history of extreme postpartum depression
- Live in a supportive and friendly environment
- Live a healthy lifestyle
What is the selection process for Surrogacy SMART Program Gestational Carriers?
- Phone interview
- Home interview by regional coordinator
- Initial consultation and examination at Adonis Fertility International LLC clinics:
- Consultation with psychologists
- Legal consultation, verification of the documents
- Doctor’s check up, ultrasound scan
- Definition of possible addictions (urine and blood tests)
- Medical/physical tests and examinations
- Final assessment/evaluation of results and confirmation for the program – by the fertility specialist in charge of a program
Is international commercial surrogacy legal?
Yes. Laws vary depending on the country. Adonis Fertility International facilitates surrogacy with gestational carriers located only in Ukraine and the USA because of the stability of the laws surrounding assisted reproductive services and years of success.
Commercial Surrogacy = Legal
- Surrogacy is only available to heterosexual, married couples.
- Intended parents receive full custody at the time of conception.
- Intended parents are listed on the birth certificate.
- The legislation of Ukraine is strict that the egg/sperm donor or surrogate mother/gestational carrier cannot be recognized as the parent of a child born with the use of surrogacy and/or by donation of oocytes or sperm.
- The law does not require a court-ordered adoption process.
Surrogacy law is constantly evolving and changing. It is important to know that in the United States, the laws are different from state-to-state, and sometimes even from county-to-county. Adonis Fertility International works closely with our legal teams and partner agencies to provide timely information to our customers. For example, in states like CA, CT, NV surrogacy is permitted for all parents, pre-birth orders are granted throughout the state, and both parents will be named on the birth certificate. At the same moment, LA, MI, and NY compensated surrogacy contracts are prohibited or a birth certificates naming both parents cannot be obtained.
What countries of intended parents are supported through Adonis SURROGACY SMART Program?
Surrogacy laws vary depending on the country of citizenship of an intended parent. Adonis Fertility International’s commitment to service excellence and guaranteed results limits our work with the countries where the surrogacy laws meet our requirements of completeness, level of support, and levels of protection for the intended parents. The following countries are on our approved list (this is as of March 2019 and is subject to change. Please check with a Program Coordinator for the latest information):
What makes Ukraine one of the top destinations for international surrogacy?
Ukraine legal and health systems provide the most favorable environment for surrogacy. Clear guidelines exist around the rights of the intended parents, including strict requirements for medical, physical, and physiological care of the gestational carrier and egg/sperm donor. Adonis Fertility International prides itself in taking exceptional care of everyone involved in the process.